Bringing home a new pet is an exciting time. Whether you’ve just introduced a cat, a dog, or another cuddly creature into your home, you may be wondering what steps you need to take to care for him or her. Here are five important questions to ask your veterinarian to ensure a healthy, happy life for your pet:
- How Do My Pet’s Teeth Look? You should inquire about the condition of your pet’s teeth during every visit to your vet clinic. Since cats and dogs can easily develop diseases like periodontitis, monitoring oral hygiene is crucial.
- How Often Should I Brush My Pet’s Teeth? Since your veterinarian only sees your pet occasionally, it’s up to you to take the most responsibility for the everyday dental care of your furry friend. Many pet owners neglect this basic step that can add years to a dog or cat’s life. Discuss tooth brushing techniques and frequency with your vet.
- What Vaccinations Does My Pet Need? Vaccinations help protect your pet from harmful infectious diseases. These diseases vary depending on the type of pet, however many common pet shots are aimed at preventing rabies and respiratory infections.
- What Kind of Food Should I Feed My Pet? Whether you have a new puppy or an adult rabbit, you need to know what kind of food will keep your pet energized and healthy. In addition to types of food, talk to your veterinarian about how much and how often your pet needs to be fed.
- How Often Should I Cut My Pet’s Nails? Discuss proper grooming methods so you can keep your pet clean and happy. If nails are not trimmed often enough, they can grow into the skin or cause infection. Ask your vet about proper trimming techniques to prevent injuries.
Taking care of your pet requires dedication, responsibility, and a lot of knowledge. At Community Pet Outreach, we work with pet owners in The Colony to help them give their pets the best care. To learn more, give us a call today at (817) 522-1516.